A Rare Glimpse

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Today was a beautiful, gorgeous day for running! Alas, it was not I who did the running. It was my 5/6th graders who succeeded wonderfully in this physical activity that I'm only starting to understand. All the kids with our Running and Reading Program, from Grade 1-6, ran a 5K course in Toronto at York University. Unbelievable! These kids have been coming out to an after-school program where I volunteer at every Tuesday afternoon. We set the goal of 5K and we helped train them with fitness circuits, gym games, running around the school field. I believe every kid finished the 5K run, which is such an accomplishment, considering a lot of the kids come from broken homes and poor family backgrounds. I am SO proud of them!


Some of the proud volunteers!



All the kids from many different schools, at the starting line.



Top runners on the medal podium. Outstanding run times.



Me with Silvia Ruegger,
former Canadian marathon runner,
founder of the Running and Reading Clubs.
She's a fantastic lady, really down-to-earth.